The possibilities of organic sheep and goat production in Serbia

Könyves, Tibor: The possibilities of organic sheep and goat production in Serbia. Review on agriculture and rural development, (2) 2. pp. 530-535. (2013)

[img] Cikk, tanulmány, mű
agricul_review_2013_002_530-535.pdf

Download (5MB)

Abstract

Basic principles that inform organic livestock production are reviewed in this paper, with special emphasis on sheep and goat organic farming in Serbia and provide guidance for development in the future. It also discusses the challenges of the modern age that may affect the viability of sheep and goat production. Today in Serbia grow less than 1.5 million sheep. In terms of breed structures, most of the population makes indigenous Pramenka sheep (80%), while the remaining 20% are: Tsigai, Merinolandschaf, lie de France, Pirot improved, and other less important populations, as well as the crossbreeds with foreign and local domestic sheep. The most popular goat breeds are: balkan goat, domestic white as autochthonous breeds, as well as the Sanental, Alpen and Toggenburg breeds. Genetic improvement is significantly increased level of production of all species of domestic animals. However, native animals selected for high and efficient production are exposed to greater risk. This primarily refers to the physiological and immunological problems, but would generally be said that all this leads to distortion of harmony between the organism and the environment and the repercussions on the molecular level. Sustainable development of sheep and goat breeding in Serbia must be kept in mind. Possibilities for further development of organic sheep and goat production are great, and it can be expected that it will increase in the future and can become a significant branch of livestock production.

Item Type: Article
Journal or Publication Title: Review on agriculture and rural development
Date: 2013
Volume: 2
Number: 2
Page Range: pp. 530-535
ISSN: 2063-4803
Language: angol
Uncontrolled Keywords: Juhtenyésztés, Kecsketenyésztés, Szerbia
Additional Information: Bibliogr.: p. 534-535. ; Összefoglalás angol nyelven
Date Deposited: 2016. Oct. 17. 10:38
Last Modified: 2018. Jul. 26. 10:37
URI: http://acta.bibl.u-szeged.hu/id/eprint/34647

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item